Air Liquide USA LLC Engineer - Operations in Newport, Delaware
World leader in gases, technologies and services for Industry and Health, Air Liquide is present in 80 countries with approximately 65,000 employees and serves more than 3 million customers and patients. Oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen have been at the core of the company’s activities since its creation in 1902. Air Liquide’s ambition is to be the leader in its industry, delivering long-term performance and acting responsibly.
Entity and activity description
Advanced Business & Technologies (aB&T;) is a Business Unit of international teams part of Air Liquide Global Markets & Technologies. We open new business frontiers for the Group with a strong expertise in cutting-edge technologies and inspired by disruptive mindsets. Our purpose is to develop, shape and incubate significant new markets, sustainable for Air Liquide and for the Society. We develop user-focused, innovative and competitive solutions from the Advanced Technology fields (Space, Aerospace, Scientific Research..) to the Energy Transition territories (Hydrogen Energy, clean transportation…) with a collaborative spirit and an appetite for entrepreneurship.
Located in Newport, DE.
With direction from the Manufacturing Manager, the Manufacturing Supervisor is accountable for Safety, quality, on time delivery, productivity, material handling, cost performance, employee relations and continuous improvement for assigned shift/department.
Job requires adhering to production planning, following QMS procedures including ISO9001:2008/2015 standards and Lean Manufacturing methodologies. Employs Lean methodologies and tools in order to accomplish business objectives.
Job requires efficient use of resources (labor, materials and equipment) to manufacture quality products at lowest cost and delivers to the customer on time, every time. The position supervises and coordinates the activities of hourly employees on the assigned shift. This position is also responsible for supporting implementation and maintenance of World Class manufacturing practices and regulatory compliance for assigned shift.
- Take a leadership role in plant safety; Establish an environment, influence behaviors and manage systems/processes to drive towards a state where people believe zero injuries and incidents are possible
- Assure that safety policies and regulatory guidelines are followed by all employees at all time
- Direct shift in continuous improvement initiatives, such as Behavior Based Safety, 6 Sigma, Kaizen events, and lean manufacturing.
- Coordinate production scheduling on shift to meet customer demands, to manage overtime, to minimize inventory, and to reduce costs.
- Support quality initiative to ensure product meets or exceeds customer expectations.
- Assure that manufacturing is focused on making quality products by
(i) Reviewing/auditing and following all manufacturing procedures, work instructions and recipes. Ensure employees complete required quality checks and audits.
(ii) proper and adequate training of all employees and
(iii) escalating quality issues on a timely basis; taking actions including production stoppage if warranted. Inspecting the quality of materials and alerting the Manufacturing Manager or appropriate personnel of material issues/failures immediately. Inspecting the quality of the machinery and reporting equipment failures to the maintenance department.
Drive customer centric mindset and culture by utilizing Lean/Six Sigma tools
- Direct supervision of all hourly employees on the shift. Interview applicants, make hiring recommendations; conduct employee evaluations and document employee performance including but not limited to safety, attendance, punctuality on the job behavior, throughput and quality
- Monitor, control and evaluate membrane manufacturing processes under the direction of the Director of Manufacturing/Manufacturing Manager and in coordination with Manufacturing Technology/Innovation & Technology team
- Investigate process problems, propose and implement improvements
- Optimize and debottleneck processes; propose cost saving measures
- Use database/data logging systems to analyze production output, quality, cost and other operational measures to detect production problems
- Prepare regular production metrics to track performance of process systems
- Analyze process data to assure processes are performing to expectations and process yields are met
- Recommend preventative/predictive maintenance strategies and practices; understand and communicate unit capacities to support production planning process
- Develops Team Leads to effectively oversee the daily routines of their assigned Team Members
- Build and maintain productive employee relationships, driving employee satisfactions. Provide direction, training, and development as needed. Provide coaching, counseling, or discipline as needed. Recommend disciplinary action to Production Manager.
- Performs additional duties as directed.
- Must have a Bachelor's degree in Engineering discipline, preferably Chemical, Mechanical or Industrial from a four-year College or university
- 3 years supervisory experience; 5 years' experience in a team based production environment, preferably assembly or chemical/plastic manufacturing
- LEAN Greenbelt certification or equivalent required; LEAN Blackbelt certification or equivalent preferred
- Manages difficult situations; responds promptly to internal & external customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments
- Focuses on conflict resolution and seeks the highest degree of accountability; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to ideas of others and tries new things
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings
- Writes clearly and informatively
- Develops workable implementation plans; communicates changes effectively; builds commitment and overcomes resistance; prepares and supports those affected by change; monitors transition and evaluates results
- Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; accountable for behaviors and their impact on others; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others
- Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals
- Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; identifies opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions
- Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention
- Knowledge of ERP/MRP Inventory software and Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and similar software Word Processing software
JOB TITLE: Engineer - Operations
CONTRACT TYPE: Regular
PUBLICATION DATE: 2018-01-03
COUNTRY: United States